COMODO Internet Security 5.8.199581.2037 BETA Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

savit

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 9, 2011
Hello Everyone,

We would like to announce the availability of COMODO Internet Security 5.8.199581.2037 BETA for beta testing!

What's new in 5.8 BETA?

At a glance, the following new fatures are the noteworthy changes in this release:

NEW! Strengtened HIPS on 64 Bit operating systems: HIPS has been architected in such a way that now many parts of it are as strong as 32 bit operating systems. Previously, it was possible to bypass some of the protections such as COM interface access etc.

NEW! Seamless integration with COMODO Endpoint Security Manager(ESM): Now any CIS endpoint can be instantly turned into a centrally managed endpoint from the clients! Requires ESM 2.0 and later.

NEW! Antivirus scanning progress: In this release, CAV now can show the percantage of the completed scanning.

NEW! CIS 5.8 has a new UI theme

IMPROVED! CAV realtime scanning performance in Stateful mode

On the BETA roadmap, we plan to introduce a new engine which will reduce the antivirus database size to ~80MB(from ~180 MB)
What needs to be tested?

You are more than welcome to report any issues you find. However we would like your help in testing the new HIPS in 64 bit operating systems against compatibility problems and crashes. Because of the new techniques we used in development, your feedback about the stability of the general operating system as well as compatibility with various applications you might be using is greatly appreciated.

Bug Reports:
http://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/comodo-internet-security-581995812037-beta-bug-reports-t74768.0.html

BETA NOTICE: This is a BETA software and may have serious bugs which can cause permanent damage to your computer and data. It is intended for qualified beta testers only and must not be used in production systems.

Download Location:

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000_beta/installer_data/binaries/cispremium_installer.exe

Source

CIS 5.8 Beta Download

CIS 5.8 Beta Preview (by languy)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The private beta finished pretty fast.....I will also try this release because the changelog looks pretty good and I want to see the new UI. :p

I

illumination

It did finish pretty fast.. I will be trying this today also, been in the Comodo forums checking the bug reports before trying.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
The private beta finished pretty fast.....

Yes, I was pretty surprised. I thought we'd have at least a couple more releases before the public beta.

I

illumination

Well, the installer was small, 3mb, was surprising, install went smooth other then one small problem. On 64bit system, the installer tried to shove the files into the x86 programs folder. Other then this, install was smooth, had only one program caught up by D+ right off the start, which is normal on my machine. I am testing this on a production machine.. Here are a few screen shots, in my personal opinion, it looks great!

Capturecomodo.png

CaptureD.png

The first database update was 127mb
Capturecomododatabase.png

One last thing i noticed, was the themes are not in this version, it came with default theme only.
Capturecomodothemes.png

Will be uninstalling this, and putting the stable version back on, till the next Beta release.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
Well, the installer was small, 3mb, was surprising, install went smooth other then one small problem. On 64bit system, the installer shoved the files into the x86 programs folder.

There are changes in the public beta release that we hadn't tested in the private beta. The online installer was one of them.

thewolfsmith72 said:
One last thing i noticed, was the themes are not in this version, it came with default theme only.

This was another change. The mod release had all of the theme options.

I don't know what else may be different because I haven't gotten around to installing the public beta yet. :blush:

I

illumination

HeffeD said:
thewolfsmith72 said:
Well, the installer was small, 3mb, was surprising, install went smooth other then one small problem. On 64bit system, the installer shoved the files into the x86 programs folder.

There are changes in the public beta release that we hadn't tested in the private beta. The online installer was one of them.

thewolfsmith72 said:

This was another change. The mod release had all of the theme options.

I don't know what else may be different because I haven't gotten around to installing the public beta yet. :blush:

Over all it is looking good, a few glitches are to be expected being first public release of Beta. I edited my initial statement of the installer directing the files, as i had meant to put tried to shove, instead of shoved.. For those testing, you can redirect the program files to correct folder, and it does detect and install the 64bit version. I am liking the over all GUI more and more..

D Bone

May 28, 2011
I'm running it on my production XP x32 SP3 machine, and so far, so good. It acts like a final release and not a beta. I have noticed a lot less pop-ups right after installation. Everything was set to safe mode and I didn't have but 1 pop-up from the FW and it was just the pop-up that asks you to name the network. That alone will be a big plus for 90% of end users.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have also installed this release on my system a few hours ago, and I didn't encountered any problems...The first update (129MB) took around 10 minutes to complete.

The new colors and icons for the UI look more professional , apart from these changes I can't see any major changes in the UI. design.

Resource Usage for COMODO Internet Security 5.8.199581.2037 BETA
[attachment=656]

What COMODO should add , is a shortcut for the "Active Process List" to their tray icon, also a option to replace the standard task manager would be pretty neat.
[attachment=655]

As far as the alerts go , COMODO didn't pop-up not even once , and I've opened around 15 programs...so good job on that part. Did you guys receive any alerts from D+? On what programs?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 671
  • 2.png
    2.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 695
I

illumination

Jack said:
I have also installed this release on my system a few hours ago, and I didn't encountered any problems...The first update (129MB) took around 10 minutes to complete.

The new colors and icons for the UI look more professional , apart from these changes I can't see any major changes in the UI. design.

Resource Usage for COMODO Internet Security 5.8.199581.2037 BETA

What COMODO should add , is a shortcut for the "Active Process List" to their tray icon, also a option to replace the standard task manager would be pretty neat.

As far as the alerts go , COMODO didn't pop-up not even once , and I've opened around 15 programs...so good job on that part. Did you guys receive any alerts from D+? On what programs?

Only problem i had with it, was from the web installer trying to direct the program files to the x86 folder on my 64bit machine. As for the D+, i had one program caught up by this, and it is ATI's Catalyst Software Suite that sets it off, but after being analyzed, the verdict is returned as trusted, all is fine. No other pop ups.. I completely agree that having a shortcut to the "active Process List" in the tray icon would be a great addition! :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've just updated Process Hacker and after the install I've started PH 2.19 and got this alert :

[attachment=657]

[attachment=658]

As far as I can tell is a FP from Comodo heuristic engine, I'm using the default settings.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    265.9 KB · Views: 647
  • 2.png
    2.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 650
I

illumination

Jack said:
I've just updated Process Hacker and after the install I've started PH 2.19 and got this alert :

As far as I can tell is a FP from Comodo heuristic engine, I'm using the default settings.

More then likely a FP... Had the same thing happen not long ago trying to update flash from Adobe's website, Comodo gave me the alert stating it detected a trojan in the installer.. The best thing to do is report it to Comodo as a FP..

D Bone

May 28, 2011
I just got a Antivirus alert for SlimwareUtilitie's SlimDrivers. I reported as a FP.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Jack, this is the FP report for Process Hacker 2.19 (x86):
http://cima.security.comodo.com/report/b4a5a1797ce17354d3146ccbae06c91b9f1958d2.htm

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
just wait for v6 released and see what's improved on v6, if good, i'll use comodo internet security for my 64bit system :D

D

Deleted member 178

I didnt see any new version update on Comodo forum, you have the updater telling you about an update but without updating anything when you click on it?
If yes, it is surely the whitelist update

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
There hasn't been a program update issued. If you ever get an update notification and a reboot after updating isn't required, it's most likely an update to the trusted vendor list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.