DigitalisPurpurea Chrome Extension virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

langlang4

Thread author
Apr 29, 2024
Hello, I have tried to remove the extension through the chrome policy remover (attached below) and by going on registry editor. Right now the extension is not active but it will not let me remove it. Can anyone help?

1714418599317.png1714418738856.png

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    54.2 KB · Views: 12

icotonev

Verified
Staff Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hello ..! Welcome to MalwareTips..! :)

My name is icotonev and I'm here to help you remove malware ..! Before we begin, please note the following:
  • First, please keep in mind most of us at MalwareTips volunteer our assistance for your benefit in your time of need. Logs from malware diagnostic or removal programs can take some time to get analyzed. Also, have in mind that all the experts here are volunteers and may not be available to assist when you post. Please, be patient, while I analyze your logs.
  • It is important to not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you.Also, do not uninstall or install any software during the procedure, unless I ask you to do so.
  • Cracked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also can make your computer a malware target. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. Thus, no need to clean the computer, since, soon or later, it will get infected again. If you have such programs, please uninstall them now, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please perform all steps in the order they are listed. If things are not clear or you experience problems be sure to stop and let me know.
  • Please attach all logs into your post unless otherwise requested.
  • When your computer is clean I will let you know, provide instructions to remove tools and reports, and offer you information about how you can combat future infections.
  • If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days I will assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.
You have WebAdvisor from McAfee installed. However, this is not your basic antivirus solution. You have Malwarebytes and AVG Antivirus and you don't need WebAdvisor. I suggest uninstalling it.
  • Download the Revo Uninstaller Free and save it on your Desktop.
  • Double click on the exe file created on your Desktop to run the installer, and follow the instructions to install the program.
  • Double click the program's icon to open it.
  • Write in the search area, on the top left, the following program:
Code:
Chromstera
WebAdvisor by McAfee

• Choose the Uninstall tab from the menu and let the program to create a Restore point.
  • Choose Scan, and then the Advanced mode scan.
  • Select all the Online Services items found, Delete and Next.
  • Let the procedure be completed and click on Finish.
  • Restart the computer.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool - Fix

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone

Please download the attached file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

• Copy/paste the following in the Search: box
Code:
Searchall: Chromstera

• Click Search Files button
  • When completed click OK and a Search.txt document will open on your desktop
  • Аttach the report in your reply. If the file is too large zip and upload it here.

In your next reply, please include:
  • Fixlog.txt
  • Search report

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

langlang4

Thread author
Apr 29, 2024
Thanks for responding! This reply will be in two parts because I have tried a couple of things since the og post. Ther first part will be what I done on my own and the second is about your instructions

Part 1: I was able to get rid of the og extension from the photos and uninstalled and reinstalled chrome through the Ninite installer as it would not install itself with a firewall message poping up. After using chrome without the extension virus for a few hours today, it crashed and a new extension popped up:1714518092988.png
I deleted the ID by going through AppData/local/Google/Chrome/Userdata/default/extensions and deleting the ID folder. That switched the extension off but chrome still says that it is manged by an organization. I then checked Microsoft edge and realized that the first extension from chrome is also there; I didn't notice because I don't use that browser.

Part 2: Following your instructions I uninstalled some pirated games I got ages ago. I was able to get to the advanced mode part for chromstera but what are the online services that I have to delete? How do I know what they are? I wasn't exactly sure so and I don't want to do more harm so I decided to comfirm before moving on. I'm also not sure if I can advance scan web advisor and chromstera at the same time. Can I leave web advisor for now and deal with chromstera first?

Sorry for the long post and if anything that I did in part 1 messed up the procedure to fix things. This is my first time with a virus like this and I kinda panicked, plus a few other things were going on. Once again, thanks for responding! I know you guys are volunteers so it means a lot that this is a free service ^_^ Please take your time and let me know if I need to redo the logs again or if more information needs to be clarified! I don't think we are in the same time zone but I'll try and check the thread everyday so that I won't miss anything.

langlang4

Thread author
Apr 29, 2024
Thanks for responding! This reply will be in two parts because I have tried a couple of things since the og post. Ther first part will be what I done on my own and the second is about your instructions

Part 1: I was able to get rid of the og extension from the photos and uninstalled and reinstalled chrome through the Ninite installer as it would not install itself with a firewall message poping up. After using chrome without the extension virus for a few hours today, it crashed and a new extension popped up:View attachment 283125
I deleted the ID by going through AppData/local/Google/Chrome/Userdata/default/extensions and deleting the ID folder. That switched the extension off but chrome still says that it is manged by an organization. I then checked Microsoft edge and realized that the first extension from chrome is also there; I didn't notice because I don't use that browser.

Part 2: Following your instructions I uninstalled some pirated games I got ages ago. I was able to get to the advanced mode part for chromstera but what are the online services that I have to delete? How do I know what they are? I wasn't exactly sure so and I don't want to do more harm so I decided to comfirm before moving on. I'm also not sure if I can advance scan web advisor and chromstera at the same time. Can I leave web advisor for now and deal with chromstera first?

Sorry for the long post and if anything that I did in part 1 messed up the procedure to fix things. This is my first time with a virus like this and I kinda panicked, plus a few other things were going on. Once again, thanks for responding! I know you guys are volunteers so it means a lot that this is a free service ^_^ Please take your time and let me know if I need to redo the logs again or if more information needs to be clarified! I don't think we are in the same time zone but I'll try and check the thread everyday so that I won't miss anything.
I should also ask asuming that the same FRST log I sent will still work with what I've done, where is the location that I should put the log you sent? Is it this one:
" (C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\VantageService\4.0.75.0\LenovoVantageService.exe ->) (Lenovo -> Lenovo) C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\VantageService\4.0.75.0\LenovoVantage-(DeviceSettingsSystemAddin).exe "?

langlang4

Thread author
Apr 29, 2024
Not sure if you are still there, but I've troubleshooted some more and I think I got it? Anyway the logs you wanted are attached here

Attachments

• Search.txt
    254 bytes · Views: 2
  • Fixlog_04-05-2024 20.03.05.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 2

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

I missed your previous post. Sorry.

The logs are looking good.

If you have any pending issues please run a Scan with the Farbar program and post the 2 logs created.
If all is well then good luck.

langlang4

Thread author
Apr 29, 2024
Hi there! No worries, I haven't run into any problems so far, heres the log

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    51.5 KB · Views: 2
  • FRST.txt
    50.7 KB · Views: 2

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

For some unknown reasons to me some items have shown their faces again, other are new.

Before we proceed with this fix I just want to let you know that this CHCP setting is located in Cuba for the ISPEmpresa de Telecomunicaciones de Cuba, S.A
Tcpip\..\Interfaces\{e7ceea2c-aa38-4346-9998-a4dbe9bd5ed1}: [DhcpNameServer] 152.206.1.2
If you feel safe with this fine. Forget it.

If not add this line: Ir forget it if you know of it.
Tcpip\..\Interfaces\{e7ceea2c-aa38-4346-9998-a4dbe9bd5ed1}: [DhcpNameServer] 152.206.1.2
under the Comment: Items from the FRST.TXT log that will be removed from the Registry - after you have downloaded it and save the file before running the fix.
<<<>>>.

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• Fixlist.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 1

langlang4

Thread author
Apr 29, 2024
Got the fix done, haven't noticed unsusual and malwarebytes scan has not turned up any red flags

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.