Advice Request after norton where should i go

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

which should i choose

• Norton

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • ZoneAlarm

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • F-secure

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • McAfee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trend Micro

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Recommend another AV

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters

I Walk MY Way

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
ZoneAlarm by Check Point. read more here
:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
my norton licence expires in 50 days . what do you guys think i should go from there
Kaspersky is excluded ... not an option at all
Are you accepting other recommendations other than Norton, ZoneAlarm, F-Secure, McAfee and Trend Micro?

Reactions: Nevi and ZeePriest

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Windows Security set to Recommended Settings using DefenderUI, Sophos Scan & Clean set to automatically scan on startup using Windows Task Scheduler, ESET Online Scanner set to automatically do periodic scans, uBlock Origin, and Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

Reactions: Nevi and ZeePriest

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Bitdefender Total Security. I am using it.

Its web protection supports my Ungoogled Chromium browser. I believe it supports chromium-based browsers........even Brave although UG and Brave browsers are not indicated as supported browsers.

Also, has great android support for many browsers......... most number of browsers if I am not wrong 😁

Hmmmm........I think I may give Norton Antivirus Plus a try. 🤔

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why not stay with Norton?
That’s a valid point.

Norton shouldn’t be an option, but it is listed in the poll and has not been explicitly stated to be excluded like Kaspersky software.

A Norton renewal is still on the table, unless the poll results indicate another winner which may be the case, as F-Secure is currently the most voted for.

Yes means no, and no means only Norton, ZoneAlarm, F-Secure, McAfee and Trend Micro are the options.

I will change my vote from Norton to F-Secure.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Bitdefender Total Security. I am using it.

Its web protection supports my Ungoogled Chromium browser. I believe it supports chromium-based browsers........even Brave although UG and Brave browsers are not indicated as supported browsers.

Also, has great android support for many browsers......... most number of browsers if I am not wrong 😁

Hmmmm........I think I may give Norton Antivirus Plus a try. 🤔
For Android, it also has nice anti-theft options. Supported BD Mobile Security Android browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Samsung Internet, Brave, Dolphin, DuckDuckGo, Edge, Firefox Focus, Huawei, Opera, Opera Mini, Puffin Cloud and Yandex.

But as far as Desktop, I'm always curious what else may be out there, besides Total Security. Norton has always piqued my interest as well.

Edit: and I don't think you'll find anyone recommending McAfee. It's the first thing I uninstall if it's pre-installed on a device.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

If it aint broke dont fix it. ;)

Seriously, if you used a full license, had not issues, everything worked as should, there is no need to change to anything else. At this point you know it plays well with your machine, software and uses of, not something you would know of other software until trying for a bit.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
If it aint broke dont fix it. ;)

Seriously, if you used a full license, had not issues, everything worked as should, there is no need to change to anything else. At this point you know it plays well with your machine, software and uses of, not something you would know of other software until trying for a bit.
I agree, but, we're a curious lot of people around here as far as what may be better feature-wise and protection-wise, thus all of the Battle threads and AV test videos.
So at least gery79 has that fallback position (Norton) to go back to if a trial version doesn't live up to their expectations.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I agree, but, we're a curious lot of people around here as far as what may be better feature-wise and protection-wise, thus all of the Battle threads and AV test videos.
So at least gery79 has that fallback position (Norton) to go back to if a trial version doesn't live up to their expectations.
Oh i remember and know. Spent my time changing security every 3 days, reformatting, fixing broken files, swearing, laughing, just to do it again. I even bricked a $2,000.00 laptop installing an OS directly on release instead of waiting, out of that same curiosity 😁

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Oh i remember and know. Spent my time changing security every 3 days, reformatting, fixing broken files, swearing, laughing, just to do it again. I even bricked a $2,000.00 laptop installing an OS directly on release instead of waiting, out of that same curiosity 😁
lol...I just went through that yesterday afternoon when uninsatlling Avast free, which was working well on a Windows 7 desktop. I wanted to try AVG, only to not like it, and when trying to uninstall it, having it freeze up the PC and having to do a hard reboot. I eventually had to go into safe mode to uninstall it, and replace it again with Avast.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I'm honestly tired of Norton. All the updates are only related to the interface. The interface itself is very heavy and slow. Pulling a file out of quarantine requires quite a few clicks. Although the interface is constantly being fixed, almost nothing changes.

I think that as soon as my Norton licence runs out, I will switch to ZoneAlarm, as my brother got a job with CheckPoint, and they have free licences for employees. :) If it wasn't for that, I think I would go back to Eset.

I think the most interesting option is Avast One - constant updates, full feature set similar to Norton. I'm waiting for Norton to become Norton One - it's a logical future.

F-Secure is also a good option, but too few settings.... On the other hand very good VPN (although no servers I need). I think if it wasn't for the promotions I wouldn't have bought it on my own.

In general, I like Eset the most in terms of general feelings of satisfaction from use. Plus, I recently sent a phishing site to a lot of labs. Only Eset added it within a day. That's an indicator of why they have such good web protection.

P.S. I wonder why here are no McAfee supporters at all? After all it's not so bad and maybe even good, I have too little experience with it.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.