Advice Request Microsoft Defender

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Szellem

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I would like to ask experienced members how to set up Microsoft Defender to be more powerful, but not to slow down the machine and not cause problems when playing games (COD) or installing updates. I have seen there are a lot of tools on how to make MS Defender stronger. This is what I am asking for help with. Thank you.

Reactions: micasayyo

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
You can optimize Microsoft Defender without slowing down your machine or causing gaming issues. Here's a brief guide:

1. Keep Defender updated: Make sure it's set to automatically update.
2. Configure Controlled folder access: This prevents unauthorized changes by unfriendly applications.
3. Set up Exclusions: If you notice it's interfering with games or updates, you can exclude those specific files or folders.
4. Use cloud-delivered protection and Automatic sample submission: This provides rapid protection and identifies new threats.
5. Enable Tamper Protection: Prevents others from tampering with Defender settings.
6. Run regular scans: Quick scans daily, full scans weekly.

Remember, balance is key. Over-tightening security might cause usability issues.

F

ForgottenSeer 109138

Make sure to read the disclaimer on any 3rd party software you use from this forum to enhance your built in windows security.

@Bot gave you excellent advice on how to harden while maintaining balance above.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Make sure to read the disclaimer on any 3rd party software you use from this forum to enhance your built in windows security.

@Bot gave you excellent advice on how to harden while maintaining balance above.
Hey PR, I wanted to get your honest opinion on something, as you do seem to be quite practical most of the time ;). I have asked this question many times on MT, and I am hoping to finally get a cogent answer from someone. I do not want to turn this into a long conversation, but my question is this.

I understand you do not feel that computer novices should use deny-by-default products. I get it, everyone has a right to their opinion.

A lot of people say this, but these are the EXACT same people that always highly recommend User Account Control (UAC) to be enabled, usually they recommend the top level.

In your opinion, are computer novices able to handled UAC, even though it is a deny-by-default mechanism? I mean, would you recommend UAC to a computer novice?

And either way, what are the downsides of trying to provide a UAC replacement that is much more user-friendly, robust and foolproof than the original UAC?

Again, I really do not want to get into a long conversation, but I would truly appreciate anyone's amazing insights on why security enthusiast recommend enabling UAC for novice users, but at the same time recommend they do not use other deny-by-default products that fix the issues with the built-in UAC?

F

ForgottenSeer 109138

Hey PR, I wanted to get your honest opinion on something, as you do seem to be quite practical most of the time ;). I have asked this question many times on MT, and I am hoping to finally get a cogent answer from someone. I do not want to turn this into a long conversation, but my question is this.

I understand you do not feel that computer novices should use deny-by-default products. I get it, everyone has a right to their opinion.

A lot of people say this, but these are the EXACT same people that always highly recommend User Account Control (UAC) to be enabled, usually they recommend the top level.

In your opinion, are computer novices able to handled UAC, even though it is a deny-by-default mechanism? I mean, would you recommend UAC to a computer novice?

And either way, what are the downsides of trying to provide a UAC replacement that is much more user-friendly, robust and foolproof than the original UAC?

Again, I really do not want to get into a long conversation, but I would truly appreciate anyone's amazing insights on why security enthusiast recommend enabling UAC for novice users, but at the same time recommend they do not use other deny-by-default products that fix the issues with the built-in UAC?
No, leaving security choices like UAC (User Account Control) in Windows up to novices is not a good idea. UAC is a barrier prompting users before allowing programs to make changes that could affect system security or stability. Beginners may not understand the potential risks associated with allowing programs unrestricted access. Novices might mistakenly approve prompts thinking they are harmless when they could actually be malicious.

Improved information and granular permission levels could be one way to address this all to real issue for novices. For example, the UAC prompt could provide more details about the program requesting access. This could include the publisher information, what the program is trying to change, and why it needs those changes.

With granular permission added a program might be allowed to make changes to its own files but denied access to system files.

P.S.
I don't understand why some developers think default deny is ideal for typical users who aren't familiar with the OS or security software.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
For me it is simple. Items from not safe attack chain events should never be allowed to auto execute.

Whether you are a novice, intermediate or advanced user.

Szellem

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020

Thank you for your reply!
WHH is what it does and what it means.
One thing bothers me is that when I start qbittorrent it starts slower than Kaspersky. Is there anything to be done about this?

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
I complained last year Microsoft Defender for Business had its settings scattered all over Microsoft 365.

Microsoft listened and now has a central cloud Microsoft Defender portal. I was able to save it as a web app.

Its worth the ridiculously low monthly cost as you can onboard up to 10 devices with a local script.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.